IELTS Vocabulary: Condition
We do not use the when writing about things in general.
Crime is rising in capital cities. NOT
This is just one of the issues in society. NOT
in the society
~s2~a) Unless you have good grades, you can't go to university.
~s3~a) As long as we continue to live in a throwaway society, pollution will get worse.
~s4~a) On condition that the money is reinvested in education and medicine, many developed countries are willing to waive the Third World debt.
~s5~a) No matter how hard they work, some countries will never be able to rectify their deficits.
~s6~a) However many books you read about them, computers are difficult things to understand.
~s7~a) Wherever you go, crime is a problem.
~s2~a) You can't go to university unless you have good grades. (Unless means the same as If you don't)
~s3~a) Pollution will get worse as long as we continue to live in a throwaway society. (We can also say so long as, although this is slightly more formal)
~s4~a) Many developed countries are willing to waive the Third World debt on condition that the money is reinvested in education and medicine.
~s5~a) Some countries will never be able to rectify their deficits, no matter how hard they work. (Note word changes and sentence ending)
~s6~a) Computers are difficult things to understand, however many books you read about them. (However is used in the same way as no matter)
~s7~a) Crime is a problem, wherever you go.
A. Look at these sentences. They all use 'if. Rewrite each sentence, replacing 'if with the words in bold. You may need to remove some of the other words.
1) You can borrow my dictionary if you return it before you go home. (providing that)
2) You can't go to university if you don't have good grades. (unless)
3) Pollution will get worse if we continue to live in a throwaway society. (as long as)
4) Many developed countries are willing to waive the Third World debt if the money is reinvested ineducation and medicine. (on condition that)
5) Some countries will never be able to rectify their deficits even if they work very hard. (no matter how)
6) Computers are difficult things to understand, even if you read a lot of books about them. (however many)
7) Crime is a problem, even if you go to relatively safe countries. (wherever)
B. Now rewrite each sentence beginning with the words in bold.
For example: Providing that you return it before you go home, you can borrow my dictionary.
C. Complete these sentences using an appropriate word or expression from above and your own ideas.
1. British universities will accept
students from abroad.
2. Working for a large company can be a fulfilling experience.
3. Most banks are happy to lend customers money.
4. The government will reduce income tax.
5. The environmental situation will continue to worsen.
6. There will always be long waiting lists at our hospitals.
7. Travelling helps you understand more about the world around you.
D. Some nouns can be used to express condition. Complete these sentences 1-3 with one of the words from A, B or C.
1) Being able to drive is one of the of the .......... job of salesman.
A. prerequirementsB. prerequisitesC. prescriptions
2) Before you accept a job, it is important that you agree with the .......... of the contract.
A. conditionalsB. conditionsC. conditioners
3) It is a .......... of the university that you attend an interview.
A. requirementB. requisiteC. requiem