IELTS Writing Task 2 #215
IELTS Writig Task 2
Do the following writing task. You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
- analyse the question. (1-2 minutes)
- brainstorm as many ideas as you can. (2 minutes)
- make a plan for the answer. Decide how many paragraphs you will need and choose ideas from the fist you have fact brainstormed, in your plan, note down examples you want to use as well. (2 minutes)
- write your answer following your plan. While writing your answer, try to use some conditional sentences and the type of emphatic language you looked at in Activity 6. Keep the sample answer in front of you as a model. (30 minutes)
- check your work carefully for mistakes. (4 minutes)
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Write about the following topic:
Nowadays many people have access to computers and a large number of children enjoy playing video games.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of playing video games for children?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
In today's world where we all have access to the internet, more and more children are playing computer games and their popularity is increasing all the time. This essay will look at the positive aspects these games can have and also the negative effects on children.
Firstly, as education is becoming more demanding for many young people, computer games can provide a way of relaxing and reducing stress. Computer games can take us into different worlds where we can escape from reality. In addition to this, computer games today are very advanced and can help children develop their thinking skills. Instructions need to be understood and games often include complicated problems which need to be solved.
However, there are also many problems with the increasing popularity of computer games. Many children become addicted to them and they play for hours, sometimes through the night. In South Korea, the government has banned children from playing games after midnight as the problem was so great and the effect on education was very negative. Furthermore, some children find it difficult to identify what is real and what is virtual. Some people argue that this has led to a rise in crime inspired by video games. This is not proven, but it is undeniable that games today can be very violent.
To sum up, there are both advantages and disadvantages with computer games and it seems that parents need to exercise caution and monitor their children's activity as some games may be more suitable than others.