IELTS Speaking : Part 2 Topic Card
Part 2 tests your ability to talk about a topic, develop your ideas about a topic, and relevant vocabulary and grammar.
- The examiner will give you a ‘task card’ with written prompts.
- The examiner will ask you to talk about the topics and include the points that you can cover in your talk. The topic is about a personal experience.
- You will be given one minute to prepare your talk, and you will be given a pencil and paper to make notes (do not write on the task card)
- You must talk for one to two minutes about the topic. You can use your notes to help you.
- Then the examiner will ask you one or two more questions on the same topic.
1. Describe a museum
- How often do you visit the museum?
- Which type of museum is popular in your country?
- Why do you want to visit the museum?
- What do you think of the importance of museums in history?
- How do you think of the heritage of a country?
- Compare the museums nowadays and in the past
2. Describe your favorite photograph
- Where was the photo taken?
- Who took the photo?
- What can be seen from the photo?
- Explain why it is the favorite photograph for you.
- How to take good photo?
- When do people use camera?
- How can the new technology put cinema’s skill advanced?
3. Describe an area of your country you know and like
- Where is it?
- What are its special features?
- What do you and other people do in this area?
- Explain why you like it.
- What do you think of the historic place in the future?
- Will the government increase or decrease the safety guard?
- What are the changes to the local people and economy?
- What is the impact on the historic place by tourists?
4. Describe a party
- What is the party?
- Why was the party held?
- Who attended the party?
- What did you do for that party?
- What’s the difference between serious party and friendly party?
- Why are some people late for parties intentionally?
- Why do some people like party while others hate it?
- What would you do if the guests feel bored?
- Will there be more and more people to attend parties?
5. Talk about a subject you are studying
- What subject are you studying?
- What is the subject about?
- How do you feel about it?
- Explain why you are interested in it.
- Is there any difference between the traditional and modern educational systems?
- What are the pros and cons of the current educational system in your country?
- Do you think it is necessary to give comment or criticism to teachers?
6. What is the important invention before the age of computer?
- What is the invention?
- Why do you think it is very important?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the invention?
- What is the significant impact of modern inventions on life?
- Which skills do you want to study in the future?
- Do you think it’s necessary to develop modern invention in the countryside?
7. Describe an interesting city you know and like
- Where is it?
- How did you go there?
- What did you do there?
- Explain why you found it so interesting.
- Say something about the tourism development in your country, facility, services and the effect on environment.
- What is the importance of travel and tourism industry?
- What do you think the function of tourist guides?
8. Describe your favourite movie
- What’s the name of the film?
- What’s the theme of the film?
- Why do you like it?
- Describe a type pf movie you like.
- What’s the difference between Chinese and American movies?
- What do you think of the violent films (Hollywood films)?
- Why movies need computer techniques? Any example of movie using computer techniques?
- Which parts of cinema are the most important and how to improve it?
9. Describe a newspaper or magazine you enjoy reading
- Which newspaper or magazine do you read the most regularly?
- Which parts of it do you like?
- When and where do you read it?
- Explain why you enjoy reading it.
- What do you think the important qualities for a news reporter?
- What’s the function of a report to the society?
- What kinds of books/newspapers/magazines do Chinese adolescents read?
- With the popularity of Internet, do you think newspapers and magazines will disappear?
10. Describe a children’s game (sports not suggested)
- How is it played?
- What can you learn from the game?
- What impact does it bring on your growth?
- What do you think of the benefits of children’s games?
- Nowadays children have less and less time for game, what do you think about it?
- What do you think the difference between games nowadays and in the past?
- What’s the negative aspect of games?
11. Describe a special occasion in your life
- Where did it take place?
- When did it take place?
- Who was there?
- Explain your feelings on this occasion.
- Tell me how you organize your study time.
- What do you think is important in achieving happiness?
- How do Chinese celebrate some happy events?
- What do the camera and video play in celebrating?
12. Describe something you own which is very important to you
- Who gave it to you?
- What is it?
- What does it mean to you?
- What are the changes of city between now and past?
- Does money represent happiness and why?
- How do you regard as the things people want to earn?
13. Describe one of your neighbours
- When did you become neighbours?
- Do you often meet?
- State whether your neighbour is a good one.
- What is the difference between neighbours and friends?
- Why do people like to watch TV serials in their houses?
- How do you think of the relationship in the city?
- How to improve the neighbourhood?
14. Describe one of the shopping centers you often go to
- Where is the shopping center?
- How often do you go to the center?
- Why do you often go to it and its characteristics?
- Will smaller shops survive in the current business system?
- What are the characteristics of shopping malls and smaller shops and their difference?
- What is the trend of future shopping centers?
- Talk about online shopping.
15. Describe your favourite animal
- What kind of animal is it?
- Describe it briefly.
- Why do you like the animal?
- What do you need to do to take care of it?
- What’s the future trend of the animal?
- How do you think of the poaching of some precious animals such as pandas?
16. Describe a historical place
- What is the place?
- Where is it located?
- What is the historical meaning of the place?
- What do you think of the future trend of historic places?
- Will government strengthen its protection toward historic places?
- What are the changes brought about by the historic place in local economy, people, etc?
- What is the effect of tourists on the place?
- What are the forms of advertisement?
- What are the functions of advertisement?
- What is the effect of advertisement to people?
- Do you feel bored and disgusted about advertisement?
- What do you think are the criteria of assessing a good piece of advertisement?
- What will happen if unauthoritative advertisements prevail in the market?
18. Describe an important letter
- When did you receive the letter?
- From whom did you receive the letter?
- Explain the reasons why it is important.
- What is the significance of handwriting?
- Does your country have handwriting lesson now?
- Compare the handwriting now and past.
- With the popularity of computers and Internet, will people lose their ability to write letters?
19. Describe the best present you have received
- Who sent it to you?
- When did you receive it?
- Detailed information about the present.
- Do you think that present giving will play an important role in Chinese daily life? Why?
- Do you think that the brand name is very important for sales?
- In terms of the media, which do you think will play a main role in present giving, television, newspaper or Internet?
20. Describe your holidays
- Where do you go for the holidays and how long do them last?
- Who do you go with?
- Talk about any interesting things happening during your holidays.
- What do the Chinese people mostly do in their leisure time?
- What's the difference between holidays today and 5 years ago and the reasons for the change?
- Do you think people will spend more time on leisure or working in the future?