IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #16
Multiple choice questions often require detailed reading of paragraphs because the questions may be written to test your understanding of the main idea or supporting points. Also, the wrong options (called distractors) will come from the same part of the passage as the answer, and you need to eliminate these.
Choose the correct letter, A, B, C or D.
|1)||Neuroeconomics is a field of study which seeks to|
|A cause a change in how scientists understand brain chemistry.|
|B understand how good decisions are made in the brain.|
|C understand how the brain is linked to achievement in competitive fields.|
|D trace the specific firing patterns of neurons in different areas of the brain.|
|2)||According to the writer, iconoclasts are distinctive because|
|A they create unusual brain circuits.|
|B their brains function differently.|
|C their personalities are distinctive.|
|D they make decisions easily.|
|3)||According to the writer, the brain works efficiently because|
|A it uses the eyes quickly.|
|B it interprets data logically.|
|C it generates its own energy.|
|D it relies on previous events.|
|4)||The writer says that perception is|
|A a combination of photons and sound waves.|
|B a reliable product of what your senses transmit.|
|C a result of brain processes.|
|D a process we are usually conscious of.|
|5)||According to the writer, an iconoclastic thinker|
|A centralises perceptual thinking in one part of the brain.|
|B avoids cognitive traps.|
|C has a brain that is hardwired for learning.|
|D has more opportunities than the average person.|
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the Reading Passage?
In boxes 6-11 on your answer sheet, write
|YES||if the statement agrees with the claims of the writer|
|NO||if the statement contradicts the claims of the writer|
|NOT GIVEN||if it is impossible to say what the writer thinks about this|
6) Exposure to different events forces the brain to think differently.
7) Iconoclasts are unusually receptive to new experiences.
8) Most people are too shy to try different things.
9) If you think in an iconoclastic way, you can easily overcome fear.
10) When concern about embarrassment matters less, other fears become irrelevant.
11) Fear of public speaking is a psychological illness.
Complete each sentence with the correct ending, A-E, below.
|A requires both perceptual and social intelligence skills.|
|B focuses on how groups decide on an action.|
|C works in many fields, both artistic and scientific.|
|D leaves one open to criticism and rejection.|
|E involves understanding how organisations manage people.|
12) Thinking like a successful iconoclast is demanding because it
13) The concept of the social brain is useful to iconoclasts because it
14) Iconoclasts are generally an asset because their way of thinking