IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #15
Filling in a flowchart
Many IELTS candidates panic when they see flowchart questions, but these are not so difficult because the passages they accompany may have a lower reading level than other IELTS passages. That is: they do not have as many long sentences, nor as much complex vocabulary.
Furthermore, flowchart questions are logical. The process described has a beginning and an end, and certain vocabulary alerts a reader to the different stages. Look for 'first of all', 'during', 'then', and 'finally'. There are also nouns such as 'stage', 'part', or 'phase'. Do watch out for stages that may be written slightly out of sequence order. (There's one in the passage below.)
Sometimes a reader has to identify two possible options - shown by the flowchart split-ting in two. Finding sentences that contain 'if' or 'whether' will help here. 'If' may also signal some kind of failure in the process, meaning a part of it should be repeated. Arrows going back up to boxes show this repetition. Remember: with missing verbs in a flowchart, the passive may be needed.
Complete the flow chart below.
Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS from the passage for each answer.
|Building the Windmill|
|William learned some (1) .................... from a library book.|
|First, he built a (2) .................... of the windmill.|
|Then he collected materials from (3) .................... with a relative.|
|He made the windmill blades from pieces of (4) .....................|
|He fixed the blades to a (5) .................... and then to part of a bicycle.|
|He raised the blades on a tower.|
|Show Answers - Hide Answers|
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the Reading Passage.
In boxes 6-10 on your answer sheet, write
|TRUE||if the statement is true according to the passage|
|FALSE||if the statement is false according to the passage|
|NOT GIVEN||if the information is not given in the passage|
6) William used the electricity he created for village transport.
7) At first, William's achievement was ignored by local people.
8) Journalists from other countries visited William's farm.
9) William used money he received to improve water supplies in his village.
10) The health of the villagers has improved since the windmill was built.
Answer the questions below.
Use NO MORE THAN ONE WORD and/or a NUMBER from the passage for each answer.
11) How tall was the final tower that William built?
12) What did the villagers use for fuel before the windmill was built?
13) What school subject has become more popular in William's village?