IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #12
1) Do not worry about unfamiliar vocabulary or topic, but do not relax
if you are familiar with the subject of a passage: the answers should be
in the passage itself.
2) Check if the passage have glossaries.
3) Read the instructions carefully. They may look similar to instructions from practice tasks, but there may be important differences. Check to see if an example is given.
4) Skip any questions you are not sure about, rather wasting too much time on a particular question. You can come back to those questions later.
5) Try to give an answer for all the questions. Multiple choice questions in particular are worth trying to answer, as you have a chance of guessing the correct one.
The Reading Passage has six paragraphs A–F.
Choose the correct heading for each paragraph from the list of headings below.
|List of Phrases|
|i The Spy in the sky||vi Lack of conclusive evidence|
|ii The spread of technology||vii Cars and cameras|
|iii The limitations of cameras||viii Advantages and disadvantages|
|iv The cost of cameras||ix A natural progression|
|v Robots solving serious crimes||x A feeling of safety|
Example) Paragraph A
1) Paragraph B
2) Paragraph C
3) Paragraph D
4) Paragraph E
5) Paragraph F
Choose the correct letter, A, B, C or D.
|6)||Britain has already got|
|A four million CCTV cameras.|
|B more data about DNA than any other country.|
|C the most sophisticated crime-fighting technology.|
|D access to the genetic data of one in fourteen people living in Britain.|
|A works at the University of Manchester.|
|B studies car-related crime.|
|C is concerned about the negative impact of the use of CCTV.|
|D feels that some marketing departments lie about the crime-reducing benefits of CCTV.|
|8)||The Microdrone is|
|A a type of toy in the shape of a plane.|
|B being used by the Metropolitan Police.|
|C being used by the government.|
|D able to film in the dark.|
Questions 9 and 10
Answer the questions
below with words taken from the Reading Passage.
Use NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
9) Give examples of 2 events where technology
is used to watch crowds.
10) According to the passage, who do we not want to use the Microdrone?
Do the following statements agree with the views of the writer in the Reading Passage? Write:
|YES||if the statement agrees with the views of the writer.|
|NO||if the statement contradicts what the writer thinks.|
|NOT GIVEN||if it is impossible to know what the writer's point of view is.|
11) The British authorities use too much
technology to monitor their citizens.
12) Microdrone is currently not used to check drivers.
13) Technology should not be used to check on people's private affairs.