IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #6
Choose the correct letter, A, B,
C or D.
Write your answres in boxes 1-5 on your answer sheet.
|1)||Which of the following is the Chinese government using to stimulate their citizens to grow?|
|A Huang Xinye.|
|B Magazines and television.|
|C Dozens of products.|
|2)||How much taller does the average patient grow after having the bone stretching operation?|
|A 6.5 inches|
|B 1 inch|
|C 5 inches|
|D 16 inches|
|3)||Generally, the Chinese are motivated to have the operation because of the possibility of:|
|A being taller than their Japanese counterparts.|
|B being world class athletes.|
|C becoming rich and famous.|
|D overcoming an inferiority complex.|
|4)||The main problem with the government’s strategies is that:|
|A the operation is too expensive.|
|B many of the growth stimulating products do not work.|
|C the recovery process puts the patients’ health at risk.|
|D the Chinese race cannot digest milk properly.|
|5)||The Chinese government adopted the new policy because it:|
|A wants China to be a great sporting nation.|
|B it is embarrassed.|
|C wants to promotes a better quality of life for its citizens.|
|D is trying to stimulate the growth of new industries.|
Reading Tip: Matching Items
For matching items, first locate all the people listed in the text. Read all the views they express and then find the statement which matches this. The ideas or statements in the questions will not be expressed in exactly the same words as in the text and they will not be in the same order as in the text. You may not need to use all of the people in the list.
Complete each sentence with the correct ending A–E
from the box below.
Write the correct letter A–E in boxes 6–13 on your answer sheet.
Some people match more than one answer.
|A Huange Xinye||B Dr Xia Hetao||C Chinese officials|
|D Zhang Mei||E Salesmen|
6) Having cosmetic surgery like the stretching operation can
result in a more glamorous career.
7) The stretching operation helps people who feel prejudiced by their lack of height.
8) Being tall is a question of national pride.
9) Being tall does not necessarily result in success.
10) The public is easily influenced when it comes to increasing their height.
11) Until recently, being well above average height was more of a disadvantage than a desirable quality.
12) The traditional diet is the cause of their nations small stature.
13) Alternatives are available for people who do not have the means to pay for the stretching operation.