IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #2
1) Skim the text to get a general idea
of what itís saying.
2) For each letter, scan the text to see where/if the idea is mentioned.
3) If itís definitely wrong or not mentioned, put a line through it.
4) If youíre not sure, move on to the next one. Do the easiest ones first.
The list below gives some characteristics of addiction.
Which THREE of the following are mentioned as characteristics of addiction to television?
|A harmful physical effects|
|B loss of control over time|
|C destruction of relationships|
|D reduced intellectual performance|
|E discomfort when attempting to give up|
|F dishonesty about the extent of the addiction|
Do the following statements agree with the information given
Reading Passage 2?
In boxes 8-13 on your answer sheet, write
|YES||if the statement agrees with the writer's claims|
|NO||if the statement contradicts the writer's claims|
|NOT GIVEN||if there is impossible to say what the writer thinks about this|
4) One purpose of the research is to help people to manage their lives better.
5) Watching television has reduced the amount of time people spend sleeping.
6) People's brains show less activity while watching television than when reading.
7) There is a relationship between the length of time spent watching TV and economic status.
8) Pleasure increases in proportion to the length of time spent watching TV.
Classify the following feelings or mental states as generally occurring:
|A before watching television||C after watching television|
|B while watching television||D both while and after watching television|
9) reduced anxiety and stress.
10) increased fatigue.
11) higher levels of concentration.
12) less mental activity.
13) worry about time wasted.
Complete the labels on the diagram.
Choose your answers from the box beside the diagram.
NB There are more words / phrase than spaces, so you will not use them all.
|A relaxed||E reduced|
|B accelerated||F stopped momentarily|
|C increased||G widened|
|D lengthened||H regulated|
|Show Answers - Hide Answers|