IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #18
Scanning is a very useful technique, because it saves time. It means that you move your eyes down the text quickly to find specific information, e.g. places, names, phrases, without reading everything properly and ignoring information you do not need.
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS from the passage for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 1-7 on your answer sheet.
1) Some food plants, including ............., are already grown indoors.
2) Vertical farms would be located in ............., meaning that there would be less need to take them long distances to customers.
3) Vertical farms could use methane from plants and animals to produce ..............
4) The consumption of ............. would be cut because agricultural vehicles would be unnecessary.
5) The fact that vertical farms would need ............. light is a disadvantage.
6) One form of vertical farming involves planting in ............. which are not fixed.
7) The most probable development is that food will be grown on ............. in towns and cities.
Do the following statements agree with the views of the writer in the Reading Passage? Write:
|TRUE||if the statement agrees with the views of the writer.|
|FALSE||if the statement contradicts what the writer thinks.|
|NOT GIVEN||if it is impossible to know what the writer's point of view is.|
8) Methods for predicting the Earth's population
have recently changed.
9) Human beings are responsible for some of the destruction to food-producing land.
10) The crops produced in vertical farms will depend on the season.
11) Some damage to food crops is caused by climate change.
12) Fertilisers will be needed for certain crops in vertical farms.
13) Vertical farming will make plants less likely to be affected by infectious diseases.