Academic Writing Sample Task 1 #61
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The chart shows student expenditure over a three-year period in the United Kingdom.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
Student expenditure (aged under 26 in higher education) United Kingdom*
Percentage of total expenditure
(1) includes non-essential consumer items and credit repayments
* Source: Student Income and Expenditure Survey. Department for Education and Employment.
Study these three sentences and then write three similar sentences about other parts of the chart.
1During the period 1996 to 1999, student spent 3% less on accommodation, which fell from 23% to 20% of total expenditure.
2There was a 3% decrease in spending on accommodation, which fell from 23% to 20%.
3Spending on accommodation went down by 3% from 23% to 20%.
Complete the following sample report by putting a preposition in each space.
The chart shows the changes which took place student spending in the United Kingdom the three-year period from 1996 to 1999.
Students spent 3% less on accommodation, which fell 23% 20% of total expenditure, and there was a 2% decrease spending on food, bills and household goods, which fell from 20% to 18%. At the same time course expenditure went down 3% from 10% to 7%. Children, who constituted 1% students' expenditure in 1996, are not represented in 1999.
On the other hand, there was a 5% growth spending on entertainment, which stood 26% of total expenditure in 1996 but rose 31% in 1999. Spending on other non-essential items and credit repayments grew 4% to make 16% of total expenditure. Spending on essential travel went up 3% while non-essential travel underwent a 1% fall.
Overall, with the exception of expenditure travel, the most significant general change was a shift spending on essential items spending on non-essential items.