IELTS Writing Task 1 #139
• Read the task carefully as it summarises what the table shows.
• Remember: you have to write about the main points, not every detail.
• Spend time planning your answer before you start writing.
• Avoid repeating words where possible; say type, kind or sort of film Instead of always genre as in the table.
• Linking words and phrases like for example and however help the reader understand your line of thinking.
• Write about the information in the table that you find the most interesting.
• Make sure you use correct punctuation.
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The table below gives information about UK independent films.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
The table provides information about different types of independent films released in the UK and the Republic of Ireland in 2012. It indicates how many films of different genres were made and also shows what proportion of total ticket sales was made by each kind of film.
The table makes it very clear that there is no correlation between the number of films made in any category and the proportion of ticket sales earned by that sort of film. For example, the largest numbers of films were made in the Drama and Documentary categories - 35 of each of these were released. However, they earned only 8.3 and 2.9 percent of total ticket sales respectively.
Comedy films were the most financially successful: 26 films, out of a total of 148, earned 45.4 percent of all the income from ticket sales. Another very successful type of film in 2012 was the biopic. Although only one of these was released, it accounted for 9.1 percent of ticket sales.