IELTS Reading - Passage 3
Passage 3 has nine paragraphs, labelled A–I.
Which paragraphs contain the following information?
27) an example of a food which particularly
benefits from the addition of spices.
28) a range of methods for making food safer to eat.
29) a comparison between countries with different climate types.
30) an explanation of how people first learned to select appropriate spices.
31) a method of enhancing the effectiveness of individual spices.
32) the relative effectiveness of certain spices against harmful organisms.
33) the possible origins of a dislike for unspiced foods.
English Reading Tip
Some of you may have difficulty keeping within the word limit. Try to focus on using noun phrases. If you find yourself getting stuck, you can write longer responses initially and edit them down to three or two words once you have answered all of the questions.
Answer the questions
below with words taken from Reading
Use NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
34) According to the writers, what might
the use of spices in cooking help people to avoid?
35) What proportion of bacteria in food do four of the spices tested destroy?
36) Which food often contains a spice known as ‘quatre epices’?
37) Which types of country use the fewest number of spices in cooking?
38) What might food aversions often be associated with?
39) Apart from spices, which substance is used in all countries to preserve food?
Choose the correct
letter, A, B, C, or D.
|40)||Which is the best title for Reading Passage 3?|
|A The function of spices in food preparation|
|B A history of food preservation techniques|
|C Traditional recipes from around the world|
|D An analysis of the chemical properties of spice plants|