IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #1
The first six paragraphs of
Reading Passage 1 are lettered A-F.
Choose the most suitable headings for paragraphs A-F from the list of headings below.
NB There are more headings than paragraphs, so you will not use them all.
|List of Headings|
|i Why lights are needed|
|ii Lighting discourages law breakers|
|iii The environmental dangers|
|iv People at risk from bright lights|
|v Illuminating space|
|vi A problem lights do not solve|
|vii Seen from above|
|viii More light than is necessary|
|ix Approaching the city|
Example) Paragraph A
1) Paragraph B
2) Paragraph C
3) Paragraph D
4) Paragraph E
5) Paragraph F
For any questions where you need to write words from the passage, a hyphenated word (e.g. long-term) counts as ONE word.
Complete each of
the following statements with words taken from the passage.
Write ONE or TWO WORDS for each answer.
6) According to a recent study, well-lit
streets do not ....................
or make neighbourhoods safer to live in.
7) Inefficient lighting increases .................... because most electricity is produced from coal, gas or oil.
8) Efficient lights .................... from going into areas where it is not needed.
9) In dealing with light pollution .................... is at least as important as passing new laws.
Do the following statements agree with the information given
Reading Passage 1?
In boxes 10-13 on your answer sheet, write
|TRUE||if the statement is true according to the passage|
|FALSE||if the statement is false according to the passage|
|NOT GIVEN||if the information is not given in the passage|
10) One group of scientists find their
observations are made more difficult by bright lights.
11) It is expensive to reduce light pollution.
12) Many countries are now making light pollution illegal.
13) Old types of light often cause more pollution than more modern ones.