IELTS Reading Sample (General) #4
In IELTS you need to be able to read faster than your normal pace. You also need to be able to quickly find particular words and phrases. There are a variety of IELTS question types that test how well you can find facts in a text. Often they are completion tasks, where you have a gap to fill, or you may have to answer short questions.
The Reading Passage has six paragraphs A–F.
Choose the correct heading for each paragraph from the list of headings below.
|List of Phrases|
|i Campus types|
|ii Old universities|
|iii Universities during the industrial revolution|
|iv University colleges|
|v Rising standards in higher education|
|vi The second expansion|
|vii Former polytechnics|
1) Section A
2) Section B
3) Section C
4) Section D
5) Section E
6) Section F
Answer the questions
below with words taken from the Reading Passage.
Use NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
7) Why were several universities established
during the 19th and 20th centuries?
8) What did the government decide to do in the 1960s?
9) What qualification do many former polytechnics provide?
10) What are colleges the centre of?
Classify the following descriptions as referring to
|OU (old universities)|
|CU (civic universities)|
|NU (new universities)|
|FP (former polytechnics)|
|UC (university colleges)|
NB You may use any answer more than once.
11) have accommodation and educational facilities on campus.
12) provide various courses on a single subject.
13) have lecturers and students living in the same place.
14) were linked to religious institutions.
15) were built in growing cities.
16) offer diploma courses.