IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #11
Choose ONE phrase from the list of phrases
A - I below to complete each of the following sentences.
Write the appropriate letters in boxes 1-4 on your answer sheet.
|List of Phrases|
|A there is a lot of mining in Britain|
|B dangerous materials are collected in landfills|
|C as the population becomes wealthier, their capacity to consume more increases|
|D there is relatively little recycling of degradable matter in Britain|
|E landfills poison animals|
|F a lot of waste from food shops is made into fertilisers|
|G problems for people residing nearby|
|H using incinerators is the most popular method of rubbish disposal|
|I the most common means of waste disposal is burying refuse|
1) More household waste is produced because...
2) In Britain...
3) Landfills create...
4) Unlike Europe...
Questions 5 and 6
Choose the best answer A, B, C or D.
|5)||Landfills are not approved of because|
|A they use agricultural land.|
|B they have always been expensive to run.|
|C they need to have a licence.|
|D they produce dangerous emissions.|
|6)||A tax was imposed in order|
|A to encourage recycling.|
|B to dissuade people from using landfills.|
|C to punish the building industry.|
|D to gather money for the government.|
Reading Tip: Summary
- Skim the text quickly to get a general idea of it.
- Look at the summary and decide what kind of information is missing.
- Locate the relevant section in the text for each gap. Remember that a summary may refer to all of the text or just part of it.
- Look in more detail and try to identify a word or short phrase to complete the summary.
- Check the number of words required. Never write more than this number of words and use the words exactly as they appear in the passage.
Complete the summary below.
Choose NO MORE THAN ONE WORD for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 7-14 on your answer sheet.
Solutions to the problem of how to dispose of excess rubbish must be found. With the dramatic increase in both 7 ............. and industrial rubbish, the 8 ............. must devise new policies to deal with the matter. The well established 9 ............. are now considered 10 ............. so it is preferable to send the refuse to 11 ............. works in order to 12 ............. the waste products which could then be used to manufacture 13 ............. goods. Also the general public must be better informed of the worrying environmental 14 ............. the planet faces if this matter is not addressed urgently.