IELTS Reading Sample (Academic) #3
In IELTS Reading texts, each paragraph usually has one main idea supported by details, examples or evidence. Identifying the main idea of each paragraph will help you understand the text better. In IELTS, this skill is tested in the heading-matching task.
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 1-13, which are based on IELTS Reading Passage 1.
Reading Passage 1 has seven sections, A-G.
Choose the correct heading for each section from the list of headings below.
Write the correct number, i-x, in boxes 1-7 on your answer sheet.
|List of Phrases|
|i Legislation brings temporary improvements|
|ii The increasing speed of suburban development|
|iii A new area of academic interest|
|iv The impact of environmental extremes on city planning|
|v The first campaigns for environmental change|
|vi Building cities in earthquake zones|
|vii The effect of global warming on cities|
|viii Adapting areas surrounding cities to provide resources|
|ix Removing the unwanted by-products of city life|
|x Providing health information for city dwellers|
1) Paragraph A
2) Paragraph B
3) Paragraph C
4) Paragraph D
5) Paragraph E
6) Paragraph F
7) Paragraph G
Do the following statements agree with the information given
Reading Passage 1.
In boxes 8-13 on your answer sheet, write
|TRUE||if the statement is true according to the passage|
|FALSE||if the statement is false according to the passage|
|NOT GIVEN||if the information is not given in the passage|
8) In the nineteenth century, water was
brought into the desert to create productive farming land.
9) Women were often the strongest campaigners for environmental reform.
10) Reducing urban air and water pollution in the early twentieth century was extremely expensive.
11) The introduction of the car led to increased suburban development.
12) Suburban lifestyles in many western nations fail to take account of environmental protection.
13) Many governments in the developed world are trying to halt the spread of the suburbs.